After getting some requests from my readers to create a Ramadan craft, I came out with the idea of making these easy paper lanterns.
They are perfect for kids who want to help decorate home during these festivities.
And if you are not Muslim, you can use them as a starting point to learn about different cultures and celebrations around the world. This guide can help you explain Ramadan to your kids very easily.
This is also a great project for kids who are improving their fine motor skills, as cutting, folding, and gluing is required. And you’ll only need very few materials that you may already have at home!
To make this craft even easier, I designed a 4-page set of paper lantern templates that you can get for free at the bottom of this post. There are 3 different color combinations included, and a blank template for your kids to make their own designs. Think about stars, the crescent moon, geometric patterns, and so on.
Ready to make your own paper lanterns and start exploring new cultures?
Let’s get started
How to Make a Paper Lantern
This craft can look a little complex for kids, but trust me, it is pretty easy for kids aged preschool and up.
Below, I’m going to teach you how to assemble a paper lantern. You can find written instructions with pictures and also a video tutorial where I show you how simple it is.
Once your kids understand the process, let them explore different measurements and sizes to create other paper lanterns.
- Paper Lantern Template (Download it at the end of this post)
- White paper or cardstock
- Print the paper lantern templates on white paper or cardstock.
- If you are using the blank template, now it’s time to let your kids decorate it as they want. You can use coloring pencils, markers, paint, or/and stickers to create your own designs.
- Once you finish decorating your lanterns, it’s time to fold the template along the dotted lines, as shown below. Crease firmly and unfold the template. This will help your paper lantern hold its shape once assembled.
- Fold the template outwards along the line in the middle, crease well and unfold.
- Cut out the paper lantern and the handle.
- Fold the paper lantern in half and cut along the vertical lines.
- Put glue on the tabs, fold your lantern into a circular shape, and stick the edges together.
- Finally, glue the handle on the paper lantern and let dry.
Your paper lantern is completed and ready to decorate your home!
You can use multiple lanterns to make a garland and hang it from the ceiling. Or, use them as centerpiece decorations with LED candles inside.
Paper Lantern Video Tutorial
If you learn better through video, watch this tutorial. Here I show you the step by step process I followed to make a paper lantern.
Paper Lantern Printable Template
I created these printable templates with folding and cutting guides to make crafting your paper lantern easier.
I included 3 different color combinations: red-green, blue-red, yellow-purple, and one blank template that you can use to create your own designs.
Print as many copies as you need to decorate your home, and don’t forget to share your creations with us on Instagram by tagging @theprintablesfairy.
Let’s start making paper lanterns!
Click the link below to get the templates.